The Diamond chair, which the Italian-born sculptor, university lecturer and furniture designer Harry Bertoia designed for Knoll in 1952, was a true work of genius.
Harry Bertoia (1915 – 1978) was the inventor of forms and enriched furniture design with the introduction of a new material: he transformed industrial wire into a design icon. After his studies at the Detroit Technical High School, the Detroit School of Arts and Crafts and the Cranbrook Academy of Arts in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, Bertoia taught metal arts in Cranbrook.
Together with Charles Eames, he developed the signature moulded plywood chairs. Eero Saarinen tasked him with designing a sculptured metal shade for the General Motors Technical Center in Detroit. Amongst his awards are the Fine Arts Medal from the American Institute of Architects and the Gold Medal from the Architectural League of New York.
Website by Harry Bertoia